Luxembourg is the second largest European domicile for ETFs with 465 funds units and some 82 bn EUR of AUM (end of June 2015). Luxembourg notably continues to attract ETFs sold on an international basis, gathering around 35% of the total authorisations in Europe for cross-border distribution of ETFs.
ALFI has set out ten reasons for managers to make Luxembourg their ETF domicile. Reasons include:
- Outstanding distribution support, with Luxembourg-domiciled investment funds being sold into more than 70 countries.
- A state-of-the-art legal and regulatory framework, allowing for all types of traditional and alternative funds, including all types of ETFs.
- The quality of Luxembourg’s market infrastructure, as it is home to one of the largest ETF settlement infrastructures.
- An efficient tax environment for ETFs.
- Strong expertise, with a strong concentration of investment fund experts who are specialised in all aspects of product development, administration and distribution.
Many investors find ETFs attractive as they’re listed on stock exchanges and can be traded easily, and offer investors diversification, liquidity and transparency, all at a low cost. ALFI expects to see continued growth and further innovation when it comes to this kind of products, such as the development of ETFs investing in China or in RMB, in Islamic finance, or in socially responsible projects. Luxembourg is already ideally placed to domicile these funds.
Download the press announcement here.